Monday, August 10, 2009

Unwelcome.

I hate the rain.

Being in it, I mean. Rain is nice to watch from the comfort of your own home, splashing on your windows and making that nice pitter-patter sound that's a music all it's own.

I just hate being in the rain.

So, as I stood there, my head in the clouds and the pitter-patter on my fedora, my trench-coat soaked through only a couple of it's many layers (fortunately); I watched. I was looking for something, and while I knew, I didn't at the same time.

I hate the rain.

The mud squishing beneath my shoes, the water falling in trails from the corners of my hat. Who is this? It looks like a candidate. Are you who I'm looking for?

I just hate being in the rain.

The window is open a crack, just enough for anyone to peek inside and get a view of what lies within. Another layer of my coat becomes soaked. I take a few steps forward, the rain drowning out the sound of my muddy footsteps.

I hate the rain.

I nearly slip, grabbing a tree for balance. The sound might alert them to my presence, not yet. I don't want them to know I'm watching. It would be too soon and they'd be able to react!

I just hate being in the rain.

I get closer now, I can see them clearly. Tall, decent build. It's weird, you never expect them to look like that, or even that you're looking at them like this. I mean, c'mon, in the rain? Who does that?

I hate the rain.

I call out to them. They turn and look at me, frightened. Why is he here? How did he find me? What am I going to do? I hope they don't run. But, sure enough, they always do. I hear the screams of a surprised woman from the window. But that doesn't matter now.

I just hate being in the rain.

I tackle them, they're on the ground now. I bind their hands and flip them over so I can look in their eyes. They know what's going to happen next, I don't see how they can be surprised. I get them to their feet and move them to a better spot.

"You're under arrest." I say, as I lower their head and lock them in the back seat of my patrol car.

I hate the rain.

It can't wash away all of the dirt in this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment